Pathetic Story Of How Yabatech Student, Charity Dazan Died Of Hospital Negligence


*After she died they left her body outside for flies to feast on*

The Yaba College of Technology has erupted into violence following the death of a final year student, Charity Dazan due to hospital and school authority negligence.
This has become one death too many in Nigeria’s institutions of higher learning. It will be recalled that similar violence took place at the University of Lagos when a female student was electrocuted but refused treatment at the hospital who instead of treating her, began demanding for money, asking for deposit until she passed.
The death of Charity Dazan, described as an exemplary student, just two weeks to graduation is even more pathetic and shows the decay in Nigeria’s medical system. Ethics and humanity are thrown to the dogs in Nigeria’s hospitals. Doctors who should save have become the killers themselves.
This is how Oluwabukola Charity Dazan died at the young age 27 while against all odds she was trying to get an education. This picture was taken by one of her friends on Tuesday February 2, 2016 during her departmental “traditional
The Narration is  by NewsroomNG.

You must have heard lots of stories about how YabaTech’s Oluwabukola
Charity Dazan of the Department of Office Technology and Management
(OTM) died on Wednesday.
NewsroomNG had lengthy chats with student friends who were with her in
her last moments. We also spoke with, and were with, many of the students
as they protested after Dazan’s tragic death.
Here’s their side of the story.
“This is due to absolute neglect on the part of YabaTech authorities and
Nigerian medical workers outside the walls of this school,” one of them said.
Oluwabukola Charity Dazan, 27, finished writing a practical examination
(Advanced Web Page Design) around 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday when she
suddenly fell ill.
She went to the medical center to be attended to when the thing got worse.
“They simply gave her paracetamol or something and refused to let her into
the sick ward where there are beds she could sleep in,” the student said.
“Dazan was not allowed past the clinic’s lobby. I wasn’t surprised. That’s
how they do here. They are pathetic.
A noisy crowd of students gathers at YabaTech Theatre Hall to listen to the
school Rector Mrs. Margaret Kudi Ladipo. We couldn’t make anything of her
speech. A student called it “medicine after death.” Another tagged it
“I’m very tired,” Dazan was complaining so her friends decided to take her to
the hostel (Akata Hall) where she could rest on a “manageable” bed. This
was around 7:00 p.m on Tuesday.
“One hour later, she was complaining of having pains in both hands so we
rushed her back to the medical center,” another student told NewsroomNG.
“They just checked her and gave her some drugs again. But did not admit her
into the sick ward. She was again restricted to the lobby. They said there
were no available beds inside the sick ward.
“Around 10:00 p.m, the school medics discharged her again but this time she
could neither stand nor walk. That was the time they could have admitted
her or referred her elsewhere but they didn’t. They bundled her into their bus
(ambulance) and drove her to her hostel. It was there some friends bathed
“Around 11:00 p.m., she started complaining again…this time bitterly,”
another student said.
“So we returned her to the medical center. The medics, this time, referred her
to the Federal Medical Center (FMC) in Ebute-Metta.
“They drove her there in their bus with a letter from the chief doctor at
Yabatech medical center.
Angry YabaTech students wrecked the medical center, and this bus…and
filmed themselves in the act.
“FMC officials told us they won’t attend to Dazan until N35,000 admission
fee and some other registration fee are paid. Everything totalled
approximately N43,000.
“We pleaded with FMC to begin treating Dazan as we would go out in search
of the money. But FMC refused and told us to take Dazan’s weak body along
on our fundraising hustle. I was particularly shocked by their statement and
body language. They didn’t act like they had children or were human for that
“So we drove Dazan back to YabaTech to raise the money. The chief doctor
at YabaTech gave us N10,000. Dazan’s fellowship (YabaTech Celestial
Fellowship) raised N25,000. Dazan’s roommates raised N3,000.
“With N38,000 raised, we drove Dazan back to FMC. A nurse from our
medical center was with us.
“On returning to FMC, we were instructed to follow due process in paying the
fees. FMC said treatment would not commence until we presented the
“At this point, Dazan started saying albeit faintly ‘I’m dying, please help me.
I’m dying. I’m dying. Help me’.”
“‘Shut up and keep quite my friend’, a doctor shut her down.
“We split ourselves into two groups. Some went to pay the admission fee.
The other group went to pay for drip and blood. Our nurse was with FMC
staff and Dazan.
Dazan was the only jewel her parents had. Her dad suffered stroke two years
ago and her mom is reportedly ill.
“Before we returned, FMC had taken Dazan into the ward and ran some tests
on her. That’s what they told us when we returned to present the receipts. It
was around 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday now. We were told the test result was
“They said they couldn’t locate Dazan’s veins. So there was no way they
could pass any water or blood into her bloodstream. In fact, they said she
had no single drop of blood left in her body. We were wondering what this
could mean.
“When the medics at FMC returned to Dazan’s bed, they found her dead.
That’s how this evil system took our friend away. Just like that. They said
only the N600 money for card would be refunded. The rest wasn’t
“FMC also refused to issue Dazan’s death certificate because she didn’t stay
up to 24 hours at the facility,” another student said.
“Dazan’s dead body was driven back to YabaTech medical center some
minutes after 2:00 a.m.
“However, YabaTech medics left her corpse in the bus and failed to wash or
dress her. She had defecated on herself in her last moments. They left her
there, in her mess, till daybreak.
“It was around 8:00 a.m. when one of us who didn’t follow us to FMC went
looking for Dazan. She thought her classmate was still alive.”
We spoke with that particular classmate and here’s what she told us:
Arrest us if you can: YabaTech students wait behind after authorities caught
them vandalising medical facility.
I didn’t know she had died. I went to the medical center and
searched the sick ward but couldn’t find Dazan on any of the beds. I
didn’t know what to think. The medical center’s bus was parked
inside the premises. On my way out, I noticed there were flies in and
around the ambulance. There were lots of flies. That was when it hit
me. I moved closer to the bus and took a look. Dazan was there,
dead. She was smelling. She was swollen. The nurses didn’t take
care of the body. When the security officers knew what I had
discovered, they rushed towards me and dragged me away. I was
Dazan (January 9, 1989 – February 10, 2016) was the only child her parent
had left, we were told. Her parents live in Oko Afon, Badagry in Lagos State.
They are originally from Cotonou in Benin Republic.
Dazan was immediate past sisters coordinator of her campus fellowship.
Since Dazan’s father suffered stroke two years ago, she’s had to fend for
herself. Her mother is also not feeling well, NewsroomNG gathered.
Dazan: Rest In Peace. Charity’s bi-lingual classmates say this simple tribute
will rest on the lecture hall’s door for a long time.
“She struggled for the past two years to pay her school fees and get ends
meet…on her own,” one of her close friends told NewsroomNG.
“Dazan is just two weeks from graduating from this school and this tragedy
took her from us.
“This is sad,” the friend said.
Dazan was, on Wednesday, buried at Atan Cemetery near the University of
Lagos. Her burial was well attended by YabaTech students many of whom
barricaded University Road.
NewsroomNG gathered that armed police officers and soldiers were on
ground to maintain law and order during the burial.
We’re not sure Dazan’s sick parents made it to the burial. But an uncle was
around, we heard. It was the uncle who insisted her body be cleaned up.
YabaTech nurses had attempted wrapping her up in her mess, with the clothe
she was wearing still on her body.
While Dazan was being buried, angry students locked down the school and
staged demonstrations at YabaTech’s back gate, main gate, administrative
block and the medical center.
They later vandalised the medical center and set fire to it. But officials put
out the fire on time. The students said the medical center should be tagged
“YabaTech Paracetamol Medical Center.”
“Whatever you say is wrong with you, all they do is give you paracetamol,”
an angry student told NewsroomNG.
“Yet we pay over N3,000 for medicals every session…45,000 of us. Do the
math. Yet, this thing they call medical center is nothing but a mess. It’s
totally useless.”
“All they do is take the money while students suffer and die like nobodies,”
the student said.
Students later barricaded the road outside the school’s back gate with
bonfires from car tires. As at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, vehicles were turned back from using the route.

This is just sad and heartbreaking. May God rest her soul, Amen.

Source: Paparazzipressng.

  1. Bomi says

    Lord have mercy on us and save your children from the menace called Nigeria medical system…

    I don’t know if you can hear me
    Or if you’re even there
    I don’t know if you would listen
    to a gypsy’s prayers
    Yes I know I’m just an outcast,
    I shouldn’t speak to you
    Still I see your face and wondered
    Were you once an outcast too

    God bless the outcast, hungry from birth
    Show them the mercy, they don’t get on earth
    God help my people, we look to you still
    I help the outcast or nobody will
    God bless the outcast, the children of God…

    – Hunchback of Notre Dame

  2. Mo Photography says

    Naija I hail thee. I was at an hospital with my lil baby of 1 year plus sometime ago. In the middle of the night she woke up and demanded for coke. For more than an hour I kept looking for the nurses so I can buy coke from them since they sell, they have all gone to sleep. No one available for emergency. When I cudnt take it, I opened the window of the little cubicle and took the coke. At this point I heard a sleepy eyed cleaner woke up somewhere and I went to explain to her what I did. I went to my room and was giving my thirsty daughter the coke to drink when one small dirty shikini thing that called herself nurses badged into the room shouting until of her voice that I stole their coke. I pleaded with her to stop making noise because its affecting my sick daughter but she no gree o. Need I say its an hospital I had been using with my family for more than 4 years then. I almost slap the dirty thing sha o if not that my wife was there and I had to respect her presence.
    Its high time we change in this country abeg.

  3. Lionheart says

    This is so pathetic, may her soul finds rest .

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.