President Muhammadu Buhari, on Thursday said administrations after him would continue with his anti corruption efforts due to the foundation he had laid since assuming office in 2015.
He said this would be necessary because corruption remained a threat to Nigeria’s development, no matter the person in office.
It is our hope that the foundation which has been laid by this administration will be carried forward and continued, as the issue of corruption remains an existential threat to all nations.
Buhari made these known when he hosted the management of the Code of Conduct Tribunal led by its Chairman, Danladi Umar.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina disclosed this in a statement he signed on Thursday, titled ‘Corruption, an existential threat to nations’.
Describing the importance of the Tribunal to his government’s anti-graft efforts, Buhari said;
Frontline agencies like the CCT, who are in the trenches are relied upon to demonstrate that the government means what it says and remains committed against corruption in all its forms.
The President admitted that he recognised the sacrifices being made by the CCT and similar agencies “in the midst of very challenging economic and revenue shortages,” pledging innovative and new models of financing very important agencies and work programs.
I will direct the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning in conjunction with Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice to jointly explore alternative sources and framework for getting the much-needed funding you require to continue your very important work.
Earlier in his remarks, the Tribunal Chairman, Danladi Umar, commended the Buhari government for the valuable impact it had made in the area of infrastructural development, agriculture, and provision of social services, among others.
Umar said the Tribunal was fraught with funding challenges, poor staffing and appealed for intervention of the President.