Connect with us
Fidelity Banner

MojiDelano.Com

UI Student Crushed To Death By Machine At Soap-Making Factory

Local

UI Student Crushed To Death By Machine At Soap-Making Factory

21-year-old student of the University of Ibadan, Gbadebo Richard
Gbadebo Richard, a 21-year-old student of the University of Ibadan, Oyo state, has died after falling into a soap-making machine.

The industrial incident reportedly occurred on Monday, July 27 at a factory owned by Henkel Nigeria Limited, makers of WAW detergent and bar soap.

According to reports, Richard, who was a 300 Level student of European Studies, was on a holiday job at the factory located in Oluyole, Ibadan, due to the closure of schools caused by COVID-19.

The deceased, who was a machine operator at the factory, was on the night shift when he slipped into the machine that crushed him to death.

The other workers were not aware until they saw blood coming out through the other side of the equipment.

According to sources who spoke to Saharareporters, his family members were not informed by the company until an unknown number called them.

The family of the deceased mobilised to the company and blocked the road protesting until police officers were called in to prevent disturbance.

The source said;

An ambulance later came and Richard’s father was allowed into the building. He later went with the body, packed in a plastic bag in the ambulance to the morgue at Teju Hospital without any of the staff of the factory.

The incident was also confirmed through a statement from the faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan, which reads;

It is completely disheartening to announce the death of Mr Gbadebo Richard, a 300 level student of the Department of European Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan.

Your fervor to become greater in life was cut short by your sudden death. Team Evolution uses this medium to sympathise with the family of our late AFASITE who was active, effective, and diligent in studies. We pray that God be with the family and wipe out similar occurrences.

The incident sparked outrage online as some people who claimed to be former staffers of Henkel complaining about the poor welfare and safety measures at the company.

The firm in a short statement posted on Twitter apologised for the incident, saying;

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Local

To Top