The University of Lagos-UNILAG has issued a statement, stating the names of persons it granted honorary degrees to at its recently held 50th convocation ceremony. In the statement posted on its Facebook page, the University conspicuously omits the name of 5 star boss Emeka Okonkwo, popularly Boss E-money, who last week claimed to have been awarded a honorary doctorate from the school.
Photos from the ceremony where he alleged to have been given a honorary doctorate in business management and corporate governance went viral , and there was no reason to question the authenticity of the images, until the university indirectly rebuffed his claims.
On a post shared on Unilag’s Facebook page, the school listed the names of students that were given their doctorate degrees.
Further debunking E-money’s doctorate claim, the school revealed that her official colours are maroon and yellow unlike the blue and yellow academic gown E-money was spotted wearing when he received ‘his degree’, which many believed was from the prestigious school.
Read the full statement below:
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
The University of Lagos, #UnilagNigeria, on Thursday, April 4, 2019, at its 50th (2018) Convocation Ceremonies (Day 3), conferred Distinguished & Emeritus Professorship and Honorary Doctorate Degrees on the following eminent personalities:
1. Prof. James Dele Olowokudejo, a Professor of Plant Taxonomy, – Distinguished Professorship award.
2. Prof. Sulaiman A. Adekola of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Emeritus Professorship award
3. Alhaji Lateef Olufemi Okunnu, a foremost Lawyer & a former Federal Commissioner for Works & Housing- Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
4. Dr. Daniel K. Olukoya, founder of Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries and a Molecular Geneticist – Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
5. Mr. Jim Ovia, founder and Chairman of ZenithBank – Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University of Lagos.
Please note that the University’s official colours are maroon and gold and the personalities who were conferred with these honorary awards by the Chancellor of the University (see pictures) are in the appropriate attire.
It is worthy to note that the afore-mentioned personalities are the only people who were conferred with these awards by the University of Lagos at the 50th Convocation Ceremonies, thus, any story stating otherwise is false and should be amended accordingly.
Mrs. C. Taiwo Oloyede
Principal Assistant Registrar,
for Management, University of Lagos