Alleged Blasphemy: Sokoto Court Remands Suspected Killers Of Deborah Samuel

Alleged Blasphemy: Sokoto Court Remands Suspected Killers Of Deborah Samuel
Photo collage of Deborah Samuel and her suspected killers.

Sokoto state police command have on Monday, May 16 arraigned two suspected killers of a student, Deborah Samuel before a Chief Magistrate Court in the state over alleged blasphemy.

The two suspects, Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci, alongside the victim, Deborah Samuel were students of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto state.

Read Also: Female Student Beaten To Pulp, Set Ablaze Over Alleged Blasphemy Against Prophet Muhammad In Sokoto (Graphic Video)

Recall that Deborah, a 200-Level Home Economics student was beaten to a pulp and burnt on Thursday, May 12 over alleged blasphemy.

The suspects, co-students of the deceased, were arraigned at a Sokoto Chief Magistrates’ Court for their alleged participation in the crime. They pleaded not guilty to the crime.

Read Also: #JusticeForDeborah: Sultan, Bishop Kukah Condemn Gruesome Killing Of Student In Sokoto, Seek Justice

Prosecuting Inspector Khalil Musa told the court that an investigation was in progress as Deborah’s corpse was still in a morgue at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto.

Leading a team of 34 lawyers, the defence counsel, Prof. Mansur Ibrahim, applied for their bail on liberal terms, citing constitutional provisions and sections of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

Read Also: Alleged Blasphemy: Police Confirm Arrest Of Two Persons Over Killing Of Female Student In Sokoto

The trial judge (name withheld for security reasons) reserved the ruling on the bail application and ordered the accused to be remanded at a correctional centre.

Before she was lynched, Deborah was accused of blasphemy on a WhatsApp chat platform set up by her coursemates and refused to retract her post after she was asked to pull it down.

Read Also: 34 Lawyers Defend Suspected Killers Of Deborah Samuel In Court

A violent street protest followed the arrest of suspects linked to the lynching of Deborah as the protesters demanded their immediate release by security operatives.

Governor Aminu Tambuwal consequently imposed a 24-hour curfew on Sokoto metropolis on Saturday. He relaxed the curfew on Monday to be observed from dusk to dawn.

Via NAN.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.