Recall that the 20-year-old was arrested on Sunday after images and videos were posted online.
While he was still in custody on Tuesday, he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
Greater Manchester Police have not named the footballer, but said;
A 20-year-old man arrested on Sunday, January 30, 2022, on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.
A spokeswoman for the force confirmed to AFP: “The man has been released on bail for everything.”
Greater Manchester Police had on Sunday said it was aware of “social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence” and confirmed that a man in his 20s had been arrested.
Greenwood spent three nights in custody after Greater Manchester Police were granted additional time to question him.
On Tuesday afternoon, they also confirmed that the England international had been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
Following that extra time for questioning, Greater Manchester Police have now confirmed that Greenwood has been released from custody pending further investigation.
A police spokesperson said;
A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.
Greenwood remains suspended by Manchester United until further notice.
The 20-year-old made his debut for the Red Devils in 2019 and he signed a four-year deal worth £100,000-a-week in 2021.