Access Banner

Fidelity Banner Advert

Kidnapped Nigerian Man Found Dead In South Africa Despite Family Paying Ransom Twice


Kidnapped Nigerian Man Found Dead In South Africa Despite Family Paying Ransom TwiceA 42-year-old Nigerian man, Jonathan Eloho Okinedo, resident in South Africa, has been found dead days after his abduction.

Okinedo’s wife and brother had earlier in the week arrived at Reaction Unit South Africa (RUSA) Headquarters, seeking assistance to secure his release after he was kidnapped.

According to Nigeria Abroad, Okinedo’s family had paid the kidnappers twice yet he was not released.

A South African newspaper reported that his lifeless body was discovered near a bush in Newlands – Kwazulu Natal on Wednesday with gunshot wounds to the head.

The victim, who hailed from Delta state, was later identified by his brothers at a state mortuary.

According to his wife, Okinedo, also known as Jojo, was a DSTV technician who left for the Senzokwethu Secondary School in H Section Ntunzuma on Saturday to meet a client wanting to fit a decoder.

The client had called at 06:45 the same morning requesting a technician.

His family received a call from his cellphone later the same day and Okinedo informed them that he was held against his will and the kidnappers were demanding R2000 (N52,000) for his release.

The family negotiated the amount to R500 (N13,000) and the money was transferred via e-wallet to a provided mobile number.

The victim was allowed to speak to his family for a few minutes before the call was abruptly disconnected.

Both phones were then switched off and the victim was not released.

On Sunday morning, the kidnappers called the family from a new number demanding R5000 (N130,000) for the release of the victim.

The family explained that they could not transfer the amount via e-wallet and the amount of R1500 (N39,000) was agreed upon.

When the transfer was done, the kidnappers switched off the phone, and Okinedo was still not released until he was found dead.

Okinedo had in 2015 moved from Nigeria’s Delta State to South Africa and resided temporarily in Amouti – Kwazulu Natal.

Investigation into the murder and kidnapping is ongoing.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.