Access Banner

Fidelity Banner Advert

Filmmaker Seun Egbegbe, Others Lose Bid To Quash Fraud Charges

0

Movie Maker Seun Egbegbe, Others Lose Bid To Quash Fraud ChargesFederal High Court in Lagos State has dismissed the no-case submissions filed by a former Lagos socialite and Nollywood film-maker, Olajide Kareem, alias Seun Egbegbe, and his four co-defendants, in response to the charges of serial frauds filed against them by the police.

The court, in a ruling by Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, said the police had been able to establish a prima facie case against them, which requires that they put in their defence.

Read Also: Scandalous Filmmaker, Seun Egbegbe Reportedly Flees Nigeria To Avoid Jail Sentence

The judge, therefore, adjourned till January 12, 2021 for the defendants to open their defence.

Egbegbe is standing trial alongside Oyekan Ayomide, Lawal Kareem, Olalekan Yusuf and Muyideen Shoyombo.

In a 40-count slammed against them, the police alleged that they defrauded at least 30 Bureau De Change operators in Lagos State of various sums, both in local and foreign currencies, between 2015 and 2017.

Read Also: “We Want Justice On Seun Egbegbe…This Is Not The First Time He Has Come To Rob Us” – Computer Village Traders

According to the prosecuting counsel for the police, Innocent Anyigor, Egbegbe and his gang swindled the BDC operators out of total sums of N39,098,100 ($90,000, £12,550) over a period of two years.

The prosecutor said they obtained the money from their victims by deceiving them that they either had foreign currencies to sell to or buy from the BDC operators.

Read Also: Phone Theft Scandal: Police Charge Seun Egbegbe To Court 

Anyigor stated that the defendants acted contrary to Section 8 of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006 and were liable to be punished under Section 1(3) of the same. However, they all pleaded not guilty to the charges. 

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.