Ali Ndume, chairman of the Senate Committee on the Army, has kicked against the reintegration of ex-Boko Haram fighters into the society.
The military had in 2016 launched Operation Safe Corridor, an initiative for the deradicalisation and rehabilitation of ex-Boko Haram fighters.
The aim of the operation, the military had also said, is to reintegrate repentant Boko Haram members into society.
On July 25, 601 ex-Boko Haram members completed a de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and reintegration (DRR) programme.
In an interview with BBC Hausa on Wednesday July 29, Ndume who represents Borno South Senatorial District, said the rehabilitation exercise is unacceptable by his people.
He said the sect members will never repent from their wicked ways, stressing;
This government’s programme is unacceptable to our people. The right thing is to stop it, forthwith. Not that they even apologised to you, they apologized to the government with the thinking that government has failed and that is why they are being pampered. They are like Kharajites. Many among those released have since run away. They will never repent.
The government should know what to do about them. But not re-introducing someone to you, who has killed your parent, or your relations. If there is sincerity of purpose in this, those in the IDP camps should be trained in various trades and vocation so that they could start life again.
Last week, some resident of Borno state disapproved the reintegration, saying it is a scheme to wreck more havoc.
In February, some soldiers at the war front expressed disappointment over the release of repentant Boko Haram suspects as they believe that their release would afford them the opportunity to go back to terrorism.